Competency in English requires the development of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. Courses offered seek to enhance students’ abilities in these
areas. The selection of materials attempts to serve students’ interests and comprehension. Because of the complexity of the world, the English Department maintains
a solid but flexible program “to prepare each individual to meet the changing problems of living by training the individuals to think critically, to recognize opinion,
to make judgments based upon humanitarian principles, to maintain a positive attitude, and to have a feeling of achievement.” All students are required to take four
blocks of traditional English courses. Students who have a particular interest area may take additional elective courses.
• Students will not take English 2 until they pass English 1.
• Students will not take English 3 until they pass English 1 and 2.
• Students will not take English 4 until they pass English 1, 2, and 3.
• Students will not take two core English classes in a semester. Students may simultaneously take a core English and an elective.
• Students who take ESOL, fulfill a core English requirement.
Complete List of SHS Courses with Descriptions